Sep 7, 2011

Teaching and public speaking

I've been telecommuting from my home office for a while now.  Sure, I get out of the house to do social things, but I figure it's time to try something totally new and different for me: Teaching.  I used to be very uncomfortable speaking in front of people, and I still have trouble overcoming my natural urge to blend into the background ... but self-marketing has become necessary in my career.  I want to continue working on fun animation projects with nice clients.  I want to get literary agents and publishers interested in my novels.  To that end, I want to get more comfortable with public speaking, including being on panels, and teaching.

So I will be teaching 3D Animation at the Austin Community College.  I'm really excited about this, and grateful for the opportunity to teach a subject that I feel comfortable in.

To prepare myself for the act of teaching, I've volunteered to teach a class on Writing: Plot Structure, which is free and open to the public, hosted by HourSchool.  If you live in or near Austin, you're welcome to attend, and I'd appreciate your feedback if you show up.  A minimum number of RSVPs are necessary to make the class happen.  You can sign up here.

I'm also volunteering to speak at local schools.  I gave a talk at UT (the University of Texas) a few months ago, and I may speak at a high school later this week.

If you have questions, or would like to invite me to talk about animation, the game industry, or fiction writing, please contact me through my website.

No comments: